BOARD OF DIRECTORS - Opportunities
Regional HIV/AIDS Connection (RHAC) is an organization serving Perth, Huron, Lambton, Elgin, Middlesex and Oxford counties, which provides practical support, counselling and programming to diverse populations of people living with and affected by issues relating to HIV/AIDS and Hepatitis C.
At the present time, we are actively seeking committed applicants to fill vacancies on the Board of Directors.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a governance-focused board!
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Understand and demonstrate a commitment to RHAC’s mission, vision, values to provide leadership support to this vibrant organization;
- Be aware of current issues and trends that may affect RHAC, the sector and the region;
- Prepare for board and special meetings by reading agendas, minutes, reports and other documentation; actively participate in board discussion;
- Attend monthly board meetings, and other committee meetings or planning sessions as required;
- Commit to engage in events and activities related to the fundraising and visibility of RHAC;
- Understand, review and monitor RHAC’s financial affairs including the annual budget, quarterly financial reports and annual audit reports;
- Ensure the organization is complying with all legal and regulatory requirements;
- Openly disclose any potential conflicts of interest;
- Understand and maintain confidentiality; and
- Be willing to undergo a Canadian Police Information Check (CPIC)
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
Our goal is to have a Board that reflects the diversity of the community, populations, and organization we serve and also represents the range of strengths and skills we need to effectively govern the organization in its work.
To that end, the Board endeavours to:
- Ensure people living with, marginalized by, or affected by HIV/AIDS and/or HCV have a voice
- Embrace cultural, age, ability, and gender diversity
- Ensure the six counties of our region are represented
People with a background in not for profit governance, advocacy, human resources, law, finance and social services are encouraged to apply.
- Knowledge of/ interest in community development, particularly in the health sector;
- A commitment to RHAC’s mission, vision and values including policy statements and strategic directions (Click here to view our 2016-2018 Strategic Plan);
- A commitment of time, focus, and engagement as outlined above; and
- An openness to learning.
TERMS OF OFFICE & TIME COMMITMENT
Terms for RHAC Board Members are 3 years. Board members may serve a maximum of two consecutive terms.
Time commitment is 4-5 hours per month, plus any committee work required.
BENEFITS OF RHAC BOARD MEMBERSHIP
- The satisfaction of making a difference in the community
- An opportunity to engage with and learn from individuals of diverse backgrounds
- Enhance development of effective decision-making and communication skills
- Develop increased understanding of group dynamics and working relationships
Prospective board members are asked to submit their resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include your contact information and answer the following questions:
- Why are you interested in serving as a member of Regional HIV/AIDS Connection's Board of Directors?
- Briefly describe your experience as a committee or board member of a non-profit organization.
- What skills, experience or perspective would you bring into board decisions and policy development?
- Do you presently hold membership with RHAC, and are you aware of any potential conflicts of interest if you are elected to serve on the Board of Directors of RHAC?